viernes, 10 de mayo de 2013

Marion Irvine



ByMike Tymn

March 2, 2010
In 1993, when she was 63, Sister Marion Irvine entered a half marathon expecting to finish reasonably close to 1:30. "When I ended up running 1:59:53 or somewhere around there, I knew I didn't have it anymore and it was time to get out," the 80-year-old retired Dominican nun explains by phone from her San Anselmo, Calif., residence.
Because of stenosis, a degenerative condition of the spinal discs, Irvine is unable to run even for exercise these days. "But I walk and hike whenever I have the opportunity," she adds.
It was on Memorial Day 1978 that Irvine started running. "I recognized that I had a lot of pent-up energy that wasn't being expended," she said in a 1980 interview. "I tried swimming, but that didn't work. Then a niece suggested that I try jogging. At first, I thought it was a crazy idea, but then I invested in some tennis shoes and shorts and started out by walking stretches in the sun and running in the shade. I found that I felt better almost immediately and I've run just about every day since."
Initially, Irvine was a big curiosity around the convent, where she was the supervisor in charge of 17 elementary and secondary Dominican schools in California. Not only was it unusual for a nun to run, but heads really turned when she went out to run in the rain.
Irvine peaked at age 54 with a 2:51:01 at the 1983 Cal International Marathon in Sacramento, qualifying her for the Olympic trials in 1984, where she recorded a 2:52:02. "Those two races would have to be my most memorable experiences," she says. "Those two and every time I broke 40 minutes at 10K."
Her best 10K was 37:43. At one time, she just about owned the record books for women 50 and over. She still has four times among the all-time leaders, including her Olympic trials marathon (98.6 percent), a 40:37 10K (97.9 percent) at age 61, and a 19:53 5K (97.6 percent) also at 61. (The 2:51 was not eligible for record consideration as it was on a point-to-point course.)
"I don't regret a day of it," she says about her running career. "I met many nice people and overall it was a very wonderful and broadening experience."
When not "slumming" on her computer, Irvine is now active in lobbying for social justice reforms, especially in legislation for abolishing the death penalty.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Archivo del blog

Buscar este blog