miércoles, 5 de septiembre de 2012

Alex Zanardi

Alex Zanardi sings the Italian national anthem after winning gold at the Paralympic Games
Alex Zanardi sings the Italian national anthem after winning gold at the Paralympic Games. Photograph: Andrew Winning/REUTERS
The Italian former racing driver Alex Zanardi, who lost both his legs in a horrifying crash in 2001, returned on Wednesday to Brands Hatch to complete the latest stage in an astonishing sporting recovery, winning gold in the handcycle time trial.
The 45-year-old, who raced for Benetton and Williams among others in his five seasons in Formula One during the 1990s, described the win as "a great accomplishment, one of the greatest of my life. When you are 20, you appreciate medals. When you are 40, you appreciate what you do every day."
Following his victory, he sat on the track and raised his lightweight bike, one-handed, above his head in triumph.
Zanardi completed the 16km course in 24 minutes, 50.22 seconds – 27 seconds quicker than Germany's Norbert Mossandl – to claim victory in his first Paralympics. The defending champion, Oscar Sanchez of the United States, finished third.
Having driven the course many times but never previously cycled it, Zanardi said: "With an engine pushing me I didn't realise it was so hilly.
"It is very hard, but if I had to design a course, this is what I would have done."
Speaking about his Formula One career, he said: "I have been really lucky to experience something like that. I didn't realise at the time, but I do realise now what a fantastic time of my life that was. And it is great to live it again at 45. I am a lucky person."
After defying expectations to recover from the 2001 crash, which severed both his legs, Zanardi returned to motor racing, but after falling in love with handcycling gave up driving to concentrate on the sport full time. He has since won the Venice, Rome and New York marathons and last year won silver in the handcycle world championships.
Having suggested before the Games that London might be his first and last Paralympic appearance, the Italian athlete expressed sadness that his handcycling career might be coming to an end, but said: "I enjoyed every day of training. I've had a magical adventure and this is a fantastic conclusion."

Motor-racing star Alex Zanardi lifted his bike in one mighty hand in celebration of his first Brands Hatch victory as the Italian became Paralympic champion.
The 45-year-old Italian made 45 appearances in Formula One following his debut in 1993 and competed at Brands Hatch when racing in F3000 early in his career, placing second, and then in the World Touring Car Championship later, placing third.
His more recent appearances in Kent came after he was critically injured in the American Memorial 500 Cart event in Germany on September 16, 2001. A 200mph accident dissected his car and he lost both his legs.
Italian job: Zanardi celebrates winning Paralympic gold at Brands Hatch
Italian job: Zanardi celebrates winning Paralympic gold at Brands Hatch
As well as competing in top-level motorsport since the accident, Zanardi has made a successful transition to hand-cycling, culminating in his London 2012 Games triumph.
He won the 16-kilometre men's H4 time-trial at Brands Hatch before lifting his bike above his head in celebration of a success which included the promise of a ride in one of motorsport's most fabled events.
He said: 'I'm Alex Zanardi, I always have to come up with something at the end of a race - I have a bit of a big head.
'My great friend Jimmy Vasser called me last night and said if you win a gold medal I'm going to put you in a car for the Indy 500, so I will have to call him back tonight.
'I only collected a second place, a third-placed finish and to win I had to come back with a hand-cycle. It's an amazing feeling.
'I'm really, really happy for the result and I knew that this moment was going to bring a little bit of sadness as well.
'This is almost the last day of a great adventure and from Monday I will have to find something different, otherwise life will become a little boring.
'It's at the top of the scale with many other great moments I've been lucky enough to live.'
Zanardi clocked 24 minutes 50 seconds but had to watch his rivals finish before being certain of gold ahead of Germany's Norbert Mosandl (25mins 17secs) and Oscar Sanchez of the United States (25:35).
'That was the toughest moment; it was very hard to wait,' Zanardi added. 'I was a little bit emotional, because the prize was very high. I knew I could only do my best and I had to be happy.'
Zanardi played down his personal feat.
'Anybody can be an inspiration for each other,' he said.
Man of the moment: Zanardi's success will be one of the stories of the Games
Man of the moment: Zanardi's success will be one of the stories of the Games
One such inspiration is Gaysli Leon, who sustained spinal cord injures during the 2010 Haiti earthquake, which tragically took the lives of his wife and eight children.
He finished 10th in the H3 race won by Poland's Rafal Wilk.
Leon was granted a late entry to the Games and given a rapturous reception by the crowd.
'I feel like all the biggest athletes in the world,' he said. 'To hear the crowd cheering me on, I was so happy.
 
'I thank everybody all over the world who helped me. I didn't think it would come true, but by being here I have realised something very, very important.
'It's very hard for people with disabilities in Haiti, but I think I have showed they can do a lot of things.
'This is one of the greatest examples that we can show to them, to inspire them to go further.'
The 45-year-old concentrated on the task in hand while racing, before reflecting on his family afterwards.
'When I'm racing I have to be focused on what I'm doing,' he added. 'If I'm here I'm okay, all my

 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Archivo del blog

Buscar este blog